We love ice fishing. There is something special about setting up the shanty, drilling the hole and kicking back waiting for the rod to move.
Advice: If you're fishing in a shanty with a heater (the life, right?!), make sure you wear layers because it will get toasty!
What to Pack:
- Sled to to pile all your ice fishing equipment
- Ice Shanty/Pop Up Ice Shelter Tent
- Portable Heater (liquid propane - sized for your tent)
- Ice Auger and skimmer to clear the ice
- Small chair/Bucket
- Jigging Rod with light line
- Rod holder
- Tip Ups (if you're looking to fish multiple holes)
- Live Bait
- Tackle box with line clippers, fish grabbers, hooks, sinkers, pliers, etc.
- Fish Finder/GPS
- Cooler & Fillet Knife if you are keeping your prized fish
- Fishing License
- Snacks & Bottled Water
- Cell Phone/Camera
- Adult beverage of choice (cheers!)
What to Wear:
- Warm Hat/Earmuffs
- Waterproof Gloves
- Warm Layers & Windproof/Waterproof jacket
- Thermal Socks
- Warm & waterproof boots (Muck Boots are great!)
- Handwarmers (great for in your gloves and your boots!)
Oh, and use your common sense! If no one else is on the lake/pond and there is no sign of ice fishing/tracks on the ice, then the ice is probably not thick enough. Save yourself the danger and humiliation.