Featured Explorer: Lizzie Heine
Fun and Fearless - That's Lizzie. She can't stop moving. Lizzie has over 6,000 backcountry miles logged and has been to over 45 countries. Although she loves her home, work, and boyfriend, she won't stop traveling. Lizzie is the definition of work hard, play harder. She knows there are so many places to experience...like Bali...wouldn't it be fun to move there for 6 months? hmm...
- Instagram: @lizzieheine
- Current State: Missouri
- Hometown: Kansas City
- Career: Yoga Instructor
- Hobbies: Yoga, Irish Dance, Hiking, Traveling, Reading, Rock Climbing, and Board Games!
- Favorite Places to Visit in MO: I love heading to Southern Missouri to explore the Ozark Trail for a backpacking trip or hitting up one of our state parks - Haha Tonka is a favorite of mine. Where I'm from, we use lake as a verb - some great pastimes include swimming, pontooning, tubing, and fishing at my parent's house.
- Favorite Place to Visit Out-of-Sate: I love visiting National Parks and hiking. I had the chance to visit the Grand Canyon last year while I was thru-hiking the Arizona Trail. It was very challenging to hike in and out of the canyon, but getting to cowboy camp and star gazing at the bottom of the canyon made it worthwhile.
- Favorite Place to Visit Internationally: I love any chance to be active or do something adventurous that I haven't experienced at home. One example would be the time I went hang gliding in Rio. It was amazing to see the beach and views of Corcovado. I also feel like it's important to experience the culture, whether that means trying local cuisine or delving into a more historical and informational tour.
- Most memorable adventure moment thus far: In 2018, I walked from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail. After four months and three weeks of hiking with everything I needed on my back, I completed my journey at the Canadian border. There were a few others there that had become great friends; we popped champagne and took a few teary-eyed photos as we realized our journey was over.
- Where would you like to travel next?: To finish my triple crown of hikes (I have one more to go). I don't know when I'll start, but I know one day I'll stand at the Mexican/New Mexican border preparing to walk North.
- All-Time Bucket List Trips: These are the things I'd like to do: Completing the Continental Divide Trail, going on a walk-a-bout in Australia, a hot air balloon ride in Kenya, traditional tea ceremony in Japan, hiking in Peru, and getting to the Mt. Everest Basecamp.
- One thing you always take on adventures: My Kindle! Whether I'm in a tent before bed or riding on a train across India, I like to read!
- Why do you explore?: Variety is the spice of life ~ I love exploring new places and experiencing new, fun activities and people! I love the outdoors because that is where I feel the most like myself. I'm my most genuine self when I haven't showered in days and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee after summiting a mountain in the morning.
- One word to describe yourself: Whimsical
Life is Cool: Lizzie and I met in Hyderabad, India in 2012, where we began our study abroad adventure! As roommates, we spent the following months experiencing the culture and beauty of India. With too many stories to tell, I will simply say, she is one of the COOLEST people I have met in my life. She is the busyXploring brand. Yea, working is cool but filling life with passport stamps and mountain views is most important. Follow her epic journey on Instagram @lizzieheine.