Featured Explorer: Janelle Erickson
Janelle was born, raised, and is currently living in rural Louisa County, located in the heart of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Growing up in the country nurtured her love for all things outdoors, from hiking through the woods to fishing in creeks, ponds, rivers, and lakes. Since she's never lived anywhere other than Louisa, Janelle is inspired to broaden her horizons through travel throughout Virginia, the United States, and the world. It is her goal to fill her life with experiences.
- Current State: Virginia
- Hometown: Louisa, Virginia
- Career: Teacher
- Hobbies: Reading, Running, Traveling, Kayaking, and Visiting National Parks
- Favorite Places to Visit in VA: There is so much to see and do in Central Virginia! One of my all-time favorite activities is to ride our motorcycle on the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially during peak color change in fall, and to stop and hike a few trails along the parkway. There are also a number of amazing breweries, wineries, and cideries along State Route 151 in Nelson County, Virginia, that make for great stops. I also enjoy boating, swimming, and kayaking at Lake Anna.
- Favorite Place to Visit Out-of-Sate: My absolute favorite place to visit out of state is the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I travel there every chance I get because it fills my soul. Besides relaxing in the sand, swimming in the Atlantic, and fishing, I also enjoy the history of the area, including the lost colony of Roanoke, the Wright Brothers first flight, and the many ships that have wrecked off the coast. I also enjoy traveling to northwestern Pennsylvania every summer where I spend most of my time floating down the Allegheny River or sitting by a campfire.
- Favorite Place to Visit Internationally: My favorite places to visit internationally are Ireland and the United Kingdom. When you travel there in the summer, the days are longer and offer more opportunity to enjoy the sites and culture. Whenever I get a chance to visit the United Kingdom (or any place for that matter) my favorite thing to do is have a drink in a local pub/bar with the locals. You learn the most about a place through interacting with its residents.
- Most memorable adventure moment thus far: Traveling on motorcycles with a good group of friends through the Badlands of South Dakota.
- Where would you like to travel next?: Key West, Florida or Alaska
- All-Time Bucket List Trip: I want to go whale watching and explore Denali National Park in Alaska, and I want to drive the Causeway Coastal Route in Ireland.
- One thing you always take on adventures: Water
- Why do you explore the outdoors?: The outdoors offer a way to escape all the expectations and tasks associated with daily life; it's a place to find peace, to relax, and rejuvenate. As for traveling, I love all the new experiences that come with seeing new places, learning new things, trying new foods and beverages, and participating in unique events.
- One word to describe yourself: Passionate